Your 4 Year Old
These are our goals for your 4-year-old. You can expect that most will be attained, but we must allow for variations in individual growth. Your child may not fully master an item or two and they may surge ahead in other areas. You will receive an evaluation of your child’s progress at 4.5 and 5.0 years.
Social/Emotional Milestones (4s)
- Accepts changes in daily schedule. Increasingly independent.
- Demonstrates appropriate trust in adults. Understands concept of strangers.
- Asserts own needs verbally, without being aggressive.
- Feels good about self & abilities.
- Chooses and becomes involved in one activity out of several.
- Participates in group & gets along with others.
- Appropriately expresses negative & positive feelings.
- Suggests a solution to solve a problem; seeks adult assistance if needed.
- Shares toys or allows turn in response to another child’s request.
- Knows how to enter group play & plays cooperatively.
- Respects own property & that of others.
- Able to describe feelings and their causes.
- Increasingly aware that others have different feelings about the same situation.
- Works cooperatively with adults.
- Asks for help when needed.
- Follows & understands classroom rules, without reminders.
- Follows & understands classroom procedures, without prompting.
- Handles materials & animals appropriately.
At 4 years old, children begin to enjoy playing simple games, sometimes with their own rules. You will hear about the concept of “fair”. They develop stronger friendships and imagination…and watch out for springtime when they often “fall in love”. 4 years old grow more independent and can initiate play without a parent’s direction
Physical Milestones (4s)
- Hops on 1 foot 4 or more times.
- Catches a ball from 5-8 foot distance with arms & chest.
- Throws a ball with increasing control (4-6 foot distance).
- Bounces & catches a ball.
- Builds with blocks (6-9 block tower).
- Moves comfortably through space with refined coordination.
- Safely uses climbing equipment.
- Pedals tricycle, steering around obstacles & sharp corners.
- Balances on either foot (5 seconds).
- Walks on balance beam (8 foot distance).
- Smoothly runs, marches, skips, gallops.
- Jumps 3 jumps with both feet. Jumps over objects.
- Claps in time with music.
- Able to cross midline (reaches over head & touch ear on opposite side).
- Dresses self & fastens clothing.
- Comfortably experiments with play dough.
- Holding scissors correctly, snips or makes small cuts in paper.
- Holds crayon with thumb and first two fingers.
- Copies the following pre-writing marks:
- straight line, circle, cross X, diamond
- Demonstrates personal hygiene skills (handwashing, toothbrushing)
Jumping with two feet, confidently running, climbing trees and ladders…your 4 year old is so accomplished!
This is just the beginning…
Reserve your opening today!